Friday, May 13, 2011

Phase III - Reflection of Experience - Lauren

After rereading both Phase I and Phase II items a lot of realizations came to me. When doing the actual simulation I noticed that I forgot to actually do a lot of the activities for the pre-assessment such as the K-W-L chart and the habitat slides. I realized that I needed to cover this better and I will make that change when doing the lesson again.

I also felt that I was in NAU student mode as pointed out by a few of my classmates. I did not teach the lesson so much as present it and have them do a small portion of the activity. I would change this if I were to do the assignment again and actually teach the material rather than breeze over it because I know that college students already know animal adaptations and where to find certain animals.

When planning the assessment I focused very heavily on the use of a rubric and the concept of self evaluation. One change that I would make is that I would pass out a hard copy of the rubric to all students in the class so that they were aware of what they were being graded on. I would also hand out a copy of the self evaluation form so that they knew what to look for when grading themselves.

A modification that I needed to make that I did not was that I needed to demonstrate how to pull up Powerpoint and a brief example of how to insert pictures, text, and modify a slide for the students that were not already familiar with the program. I also needed to walk around the classroom during the activity so that students could ask for help, or even those that were too shy to ask for help. I would be able to monitor their progress better and get better informal assessments.


I felt that the lesson itself was solid but the actual teaching of it is what required modification. Adding modifications of walking around the classroom (which should be done anyway) and demonstrating what is expected or how to do the activity will help students that are ESL, Special Needs, and At Risk. I also wanted to add the Ease of Access options to the lesson plan under Special Needs.

In my future teaching I think that these modifications, such as the Ease of Access, will be very important. I will be able to modify lessons for students without requiring them to use special education teachers. This way those students are not removed from the classroom and able to partake in normal activities despite any disabilities that they have.

I also realized how important technology is in our classroom and how important it is to stay on top of it. I would have never known that there were technology requirements in the Arizona State Standards or that 3rd graders are responsible for knowing how to make a Powerpoint presentation or multimedia presentation. Now I know that I can incorporate technology into my lessons and it is actually interdisciplinary because it is teaching more than one standard at the same time. It is very useful for teachers since they get very little time to do any actual teaching. It saves time and increases student learning and productivity.

No comments:

Post a Comment